NORTH PROVIDENCE – Franciscan Missionary of Mary Sister Therese Landry, 85, a member of the Our Lady of Peace Community, died Sept. 18 at the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary Residence.
Born in Woonsocket, she was the daughter of the late Pierre Euclide and Florence (Peloquin) Landry.
She entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on Dec. 12, 1946, and pronounced her final vows at Holy Family Novitiate, Fruit Hill, North Providence.
Sister Landry ministered at various shelters before studying at St. Elizabeth School of Nursing, Brighton, Mass, where she earned a diploma in nursing. She was then assigned to St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, N.Y., where she served as a registered nurse until 1972.
She subsequently earned a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing from St. Louis University, St. Louis, Mo., and a master’s degree in business administration from Adelphi University, Garden City, N.Y. Sister Landry served as the executive director of St. Francis Hospital from 1977 to 1979.
After a sabbatical, she ministered as the coordinator of health services at the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary nursing facility. Her long ministry also included pastoral care, and nursing care for the elderly and infirm members of her religious community.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated Sept. 20 at Holy Family Chapel. Burial was in the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary Cemetery, Fruit Hill.