Reverend Patrick J. Hunt, 95, Pastor Emeritus of St. Timothy Church, Warwick, died August 17, 2008.
Born in Central Falls, son of the late Michael and Honora A. (Hunt) Hunt, he attended the former Holy Trinity School, Central Falls and St. Raphael Academy, Pawtucket.
In preparation for the priesthood, he studied at St. Charles College, Catonsville, and St. Mary Seminary, Baltimore, Maryland and was ordained a priest on June 3, 1939 in the Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul, Providence by Bishop Francis P. Keough.
Father Hunt served as assistant pastor at St. Philomena (now St. Thomas More) Church, Narragansett (1939-43) and at St. Teresa Church, Pawtucket (1943-63). In August 1963 he was appointed the first pastor of the newly established parish of St. Barnabas, Portsmouth. In December 1968 he was transferred to St. Timothy Church, Warwick, where he remained until his retirement in 1988 as Pastor Emeritus. In addition to his parochial duties, Father Hunt served as chaplain of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, was Diocesan Director of the Apostleship of Prayer, a member of the Priests' Senate, and member of the Board of Directors of St. Raphael Academy.
After his retirement from parish administration, Father Hunt lived in Cumberland and continued to offer priestly service at Saint Joan of Arc Church, Cumberland.
Father Hunt leaves two sisters, Catherine T. Dube of Cumberland and Mary P. Crook of East Providence, and a sister-in-law, Mildred J. Hunt of Pawtucket. He also leaves three nieces, Honora D. Shaffer of Marathon, FL and Lancaster, MA, Patricia H. Quinn of Cumberland and Hollywood, FL and Catherine A. Samoylo of Glenmoore, PA. He was the brother of the late William T., John F., Bartley M. and Edward P. Hunt.
A Concelebrated Mass of Christian Burial was offered for the repose of his soul at St. Joan of Arc Church, Cumberland, on August 23 with Bishop Thomas J. Tobin as the main celebrant and Bishops Robert E. Mulvee, Louis E. Gelineau, George H. Pearce, Ernest B. Boland and other priests concelebrating. Bishop Francis X. Roque was the homilist. Burial was at Mount Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Pawtucket.