SCRANTON, PA. — Servant of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Sister M. Aloisa McHugh, 100, died April 11 at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She was born in Olyphant, PA, and was the daughter of the late Anthony and Bridget (McDonnell) McHugh. She entered the IHM Congregation on September 8, 1934 and made her temporary profession of vows on May 3, 1937 and her final profession of vows on August 2, 1941. She received a bachelor of science degree in education from Marywood College, Scranton.
Sister McHugh was an elementary teacher most of her religious life. From 1937 to 1987 she served in schools in Rhode Island, New York, Maryland and Pennsylvania. In the Diocese of Providence, she ministered at St. Paul Elementary School, Cranston from 1942 to 1945. From 1987 to 1996, she engaged in the ministry of prayer at the St. John the Evangelist Convent, Silver Spring, Md. From 1996 until the time of her death she was a prayer minister at the Marian Convent and at Our Lady of Peace Residence, Scranton.
She was preceded in death by three brothers, Aloysius, Edward, and Patrick; and two sisters, Helen Haggerty and Mary Brink.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated April 16 at Our Lady of Peace Residence. Burial was in St. Catherine Cemetery, Moscow, PA.