CRANSTON — Father Joseph D. Schenick, 87, pastor emeritus of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Woonsocket, died on August 19, 2014.
Born in Providence, son of the late Joseph D. and Edith (Lukowski) Schenick, he attended Assumption School and LaSalle Academy in Providence.
In preparation for the priesthood, he studied at Our Lady of Providence Seminary in Warwick Neck and at St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore, Maryland, and also at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC. He was ordained a priest on May 19, 1951 in the Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul in Providence by Bishop Russell J. McVinney.
After a summer assignment at St. Francis of Assisi Church in Wakefield, Father Schenick served as assistant pastor at St. Augustin Church in Newport (1951-1969); and at St. Luke Church in Barrington (1969-1972). In May 1972, he was appointed pastor of St. Patrick Church in Harrisville and in July 1979, he was transferred to St. Michael Church in Georgiaville. In June 1991, he became pastor of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church in Woonsocket and remained there until his retirement as pastor emeritus in June 1997.
In addition to his parish assignments, Father Schenick served as Moderator of Our Lady of the Isle Guild of Catholic Nurses in Newport (1957); teacher of Theology at Salve Regina College (1965); Dean of Northern RI Deanery #15 (1978); Vicar for Parochial Affairs for Territorial District II (1979); member of the Diocesan Grievance Board (1977); Board of Diocesan Consultors; the Election Commission to the Council of Priests (1991).
After his retirement from parish administration, Father Schenick continued to assist in parishes while residing at St. John Vianney Residence, Providence. More recently, he lived at Saint Antoine Residence, North Smithfield.
Father was predeceased by his two sisters, Pauline Bell and Claire Mulholland. He leaves a nephew and several nieces.
A concelebrated Mass of Christian Burial was offered for the repose of his soul in St. Teresa Church, Pawtucket on August 25, 2014 with Bishop Thomas J. Tobin as the main celebrant and Bishop Robert C. Evans and other priests concelebrating. Rev. Msgr. Nicholas J. Iacovacci was the homilist.
Burial was in Saint Ann Cemetery, Cranston.